Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Handmade Trellis


The last couple years I have been using a rose trellis for my two clematis plants. The bars on the trellis were too wide for the clematis to grab onto, so I decided to make my own. I like to use branches and twigs from my yard as climbing aids for other plants, so for the uprights I used branches from a Mulberry tree that I plan on cutting down sometime, so I didn't mind cutting off some branches. The woven part that the clematis will actually grab onto I used twigs pruned off the maple tree in the front yard in February. They are nice and straight and flexible. The only drawback is it takes a long time to make, and now I've run out of Maple twigs. But I just discovered a small Oak sapling growing along the fence in the back yard that I can harvest. I'm sure it'll come back again so I can keep on using it.


No comments: