Friday, May 15, 2009

Volunteers and forgotten seedlings

Last fall Mindy and I were walking through the Italian cultural garden on MLK Blvd. and I saw some perennials with interesting seed pods. I didn't know what they were, but I decided to harvest a few pods and try growing the seeds. So I planted them about 4 inches deep in my new bed with the ornamental grass clumps and black-eyed susan (see the posting about my patio for a view of the bed). This spring I checked for them anxiously many times but never saw any signs of life, so I just assumed they weren't going to come up; but this morning I was walking around the yard eating a bowl of cereal and I noticed these tiny little blade type shoots and remembered my mystery seeds!

And here in my herb garden there are a number of volunteers: Chives at the base of the mother plant that reseeded themselves from the multitudinous purple ball flowers of last year.

I am amazed at how quickly in the spring the chives are completely covered in blooms. Normally I'd be pleased, but the herbs stop producing new foliage when they go to flower.

Last year our parsley completely stopped producing leaves there were so many flower heads. Fortunately there are some Parsley seedlings this year.

Also Dill - this is the second year dill has volunteered.

No comments: