Monday, November 2, 2009

Leafless transplants

Fall is a good time to transplant bushes and trees because all the energy of the plant can go into re-establishing its root system rather than supplying the leaves with moisture. Also the cool temperatures prevent moisture loss.

I have been intrigued by Witch Hazel because it is a native tree that blooms in fall, and the seed pods when ripe, pop open and the seeds fly out up to 30 feet. Here's my new small Witch Hazel (Hamamelis Virginiana), I put burlap around it because this spot is quite windy, and the winter wind could kill it. I'll try to remember to post a picture in Spring when it leafs out.


I also transplanted an unknown sapling from the far back corner of my yard out into a spot where it will have a little more room to develop. I went through the indentifying key for Ohio native trees and the closest I could come up with was the Pawpaw tree (Asimina triloba) but the leaves on my tree aren't as big as the description says.

It was very difficult to dig up because it was right at the base of a clump of American Hazelnut (Corylus Americana) and the roots were all intertwined. Also my unknown sapling had a taproot 34" long!

I had to use this post-hole digger to dig the new hole. Even then I hit rocky soil after only 26" so I had to cut off the last 8" of roots. The spot where this tree was originally growing was near the corner of the black chain link fence. Just behind it is the Hazelnut, which unfortunately didn't produce any ripe nuts.

No comments: