Monday, November 2, 2009

New veggie patches

Mindy and I decided to grow more vegetables next year. Up till now I've just been growing tomatoes in a narrow strip next to the house, and I've tried zucchini in a little hole dug through the sod, but that wasn't very successful. To save work putting in the beds I tried the lasagna gardening method, where you just lay down newspaper on top of the grass and then pile on layers of green and brown compost.

I wanted to be able to walk between the rows of plants, and have it look a little nicer, so I left grass in between the rows. I know this will be more work, keeping the grass from growing into the beds, but I thought I'd give it a try.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

I love seeing what you are doing in your yard. Thanks for taking the time to describe it! I loved using that lasagne method of creating a bed when I did it in Chicago. Can't wait to see your results next summer!