Monday, January 14, 2013

Azalea Potensai

A few months ago I noticed an azalea growing at the back of my property, which I had transplanted there about 7 years ago.  It has a thick, gnarly looking trunk base, so I thought it might make a good bonsai.  I began viewing Youtube videos on bonsai training for azalea, and I am very excited about the prospect of a new potential bonsai right in my own back yard (literally)!

So yesterday afternoon when Mindy was at a meeting for the afternoon, I bundled up the kids and went out to get a closer look and take some pictures.  I told Isaac we were going on an adventure, which seemed to be motivation enough for him to want to go outside with me.

I remember relocating this tree from a crowded area in my herb garden, cutting it back very hard, and just plunking it down in a mucky spot at the back of the yard, not even amending the soil at all.  Since then it has grown fairly well, blooms profusely, and has started to callous over on the cut ends of branches, which I find very promising for future bonsai development since it will need to be cut back very hard again, and will hopefully be in more conducive conditions for growth.
It seems to have some interesting roots just barely visible above the mud.  I hope I discover more when I dig it up.
In late Spring after it finishes flowering, I will dig it up, prune it back hard, and pot it up.  I will need to make some selections on branches since it has multiple competing trunks, some of which are dead.
Here are the adventurers who accompanied me, some willingly, and others didn't even know where they were going!

2 comments:

Sarah Jane said...

Fun!how long did the adventurers last? Been praying...

Mark Erdmann said...

We were out there for about 10 minutes i would guess. Long enough for me to take some pictures and wander around the yard looking longingly at my plants. Thanks for praying. We're praying for you too!