Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Vision for the azalea

I found some pictures of azalea bonsai that not only appeal to me, but could possibly serve as inspiration for my own potential bonsai I wrote about in my last post (this first picture is not one of them). Many Japanese azalea bonsai look more like giant towering flower arrangements than trees - case in point:


...but here are some that have character, and are apparently from the same show, photographed and viewed by Clinton Lewis/Sam Shio.  This first one is probably the closest to what I want to create, since it has multiple trunks and interesting nebari.

 This next two are by an artist I recently discovered, Wolfgang Putz, who appeals to me because of the variety of species he utilizes, and also because his work seems more do-able than someone like Walter Pall, who I find incredibly inspiring, but relies heavily on very old collected specimens from wilderness areas, that I probably will never have access to.  This azalea is more upright than mine will be, but I like it.
 This is also by Wolfgang Putz, and I've always admired this tree, although I just found out who made it.
And this one is just really cool because of the exposed roots.  Don't know if I'll attempt that, but I like it anyway.  Frequently azaleas have very little trunk or roots visible when in bloom, so this is an interesting way of achieving that.

No comments: