Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Coop siding

The coop is gradually getting closed in; last Saturday I put the siding up on three sides. This took my Dad and I about 5 1/2 hours including a trip to HD to get the siding.  It took longer than I expected, but we also cleaned out half of my garage to make space for painting. I used T 1-11, which is an exterior grade plywood with a textured surface and vertical grooves to make it look like barn siding.  I cut the overall size and then applied one coat of Sherwin Williams Woodscapes, a semi-transparent colored polyurethane sealant that allows the woodgrain to show through.
 The siding on the gable end is left open at the top triangle, where the opening is covered with 1/2" hardware cloth, and will have a hinged door that could be closed in really windy, cold weather if necessary.  The two long sides are also open at the top 6 inches, which is not visible due to the overhanging eaves, but should provide plenty of fresh air for the chickens.
  The next day, I cut out the window and nest box openings with a sawzall. I then applied the polyurethane sealant to the cut edges to protect them in case they get wet.  This took about 1 hour. The next step will be installing the window and door frames and trim.

No comments: