Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Hens won't get wet

...So I won't have mad hens.

I finished the roof of the chicken coop last weekend.  Earlier in the week I installed the fascia boards and the plywood sheathing.  On Saturday I nailed up all the trim on the gable ends, installed drip-edge, tar paper, and shingles.  That job took about 4 1/2 hours with a helper. Much of the time he was just standing around and entertaining my 5 year old, which was a big help, but having him there to hand me shingles or cut ridge caps also saved me climbing up and down the ladder all day.
They say you need one bale of shingles for each 4x8 foot section of roofing, and my roof used two 4x8 sheets of plywood; but I bought opened bales with some damaged shingles (for 40% off).  I only had 5 shingles left, so I'm glad I bought three bales instead of two.
I'm very happy with how it turned out.  My two summers of roofing work paid off!  I might eventually install gutters and a rain barrel, but I'll wait on that until everything else is done.  The clock is ticking and the chicks are growing rapidly, so I need  to get their home ready for them.

No comments: